Institute for Scientific Communications, Inc. (“ISC, INC.,” “we” or “us”) owns, operates, or provides access to ifscomm.org and ISC, INC.’s email newsletters, digital platforms and conference program agendas. (“Programs”). This Privacy Notice for EU Residents (“Notice”) applies only to the Programs and does not govern the applications, newsletters, platforms and Programs of ISC, INC. or any third parties that may link to or be linked to from the Programs or website. This Privacy Notice governs our privacy practices in handling the information we collect about individuals in the EU who use our Programs (“you” or “your”). Terms that are not defined in this Notice have the same definitions as in ISC, INC.’s. ISC, INC. processes personal data under this Privacy Notice as a data controller. The Contact Details of ISC, INC. are listed at the end of this Notice. This Notice may be changed if there is a change in the way ISC, INC. processes personal data or if there is a change in applicable law. We will notify users of changes that are deemed material under applicable law by updating the date of this Notice and providing other information as required.
Last modified: May 15, 2018.
‘Personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’). An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
Categories of Data Obtained Directly from You
ISC, INC. obtains personal data from you including your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, and payment card information. We collect this information when you:
- Register for an ISC, INC. program, or any ISC, INC. email newsletter.
- Contact us for information or ask a question.
- Register for an ISC, INC. event.
- Otherwise volunteer information to us or respond to a request for information through any of our Programs.
Information Obtained Automatically Through Technology
Depending on which Programs you use and how you access them, the information collected automatically through technology, such as access logs, cookies, pixels and other tracking technologies, may include:
- Internet Protocol Address (IP address)
- The domain name of your Internet Service Provider
- The website, application, platform or service you visited before and after visiting our Programs.
- Information about your computer or mobile device, and their browser, operating system, settings and software.
- Unique device identifiers on your mobile device, including as applicable the Apple or Google advertising identifiers.
- Your approximate geographic location (derived from requested header information, such as your IP address) and/or more precise location information if you have given ISC, INC. consent to receive this information for an ISC, INC. application on your mobile device.
- The dates, times, duration and frequency of your interactions with our Programs, search terms, and your navigation path through our Programs.
- Information about your interactions with our email messages.
- Any errors you encountered during your use of the Programs.
Information Not Obtained Directly From You
Purposes for Processing of Personal Data
ISC, INC. processes your data in order to:
- Manage, administer, promote, analyze and improve the Programs and our communications, including measuring and analyzing user traffic and usage patterns.
- Respond to your questions or messages and fulfill your requests for Programs.
- Customize the content you see on our Programs, including offering content from ISC, INC.
- Customize the sponsorship messages you see and hear on our Programs.
- Offer you access to ISC, INC. events.
- Recognize you as a returning user as you access our Programs using different computers, devices and browsers and to save and “remember” your registration information, settings and preferences for later visits.
- Send you email newsletters and upcoming program details and other communications from ISC, INC.
- To understand whether and when you read our email messages and click on links in those messages.
- Generate aggregate or other information that does not directly identify you as an individual or the devices you use to access our Programs, and use and share that information for ISC, INC.’s purposes.
- We also may use the information collected from you in other ways, and for other purposes, that are described to you at the point of collection or for which we otherwise have obtained your consent.
Sharing Your Personal Data
ISC, INC. may share your personal data with the following categories of recipients:
- ISC, INC.’s authorized personnel on our behalf.
- ISC, INC.’s authorized third-party applications to provide certain Programs to you on the third-party applications.
- With public authorities when required by law, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
- With other parties when necessary, to protect the vital interests of our users or other natural persons, ISC, INC.,
Lawful Basis for the Processing of Personal Data
ISC, INC. is required to demonstrate a lawful basis for the processing of personal data. ISC, INC. relies on legitimate interest to process data for the following purposes:
- Data analytics
- Operating, modifying and improving the Programs
- Identifying usage trends
- Customizing content and user experience
- Web hosting
- Direct marketing
- Fraud prevention
- Network and information systems security
- To determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and sponsorship messaging
- To serve promotional and sponsorship messages based on user behavior and preferences.
- Responding to user questions and requests for information
Consent: We process personal data based on your consent to send personalized messages from ISC, INC. and ISC, INC.’s sponsors (interest based messages or sponsorship), to collect precise location information and to send promotional emails. If you do not consent to the processing, you may still view ISC, INC. content on https://ifscomm.org but you will not be able to access all of our Programs. If you do grant consent, you can withdraw your consent at any time by visiting ifscomm.org, unsubscribing from emails and as described in “Your Rights” below. Please note that all processing of your personal data will cease once you have withdrawn consent but this will not affect any personal data that has already been processed.
Your personal data is retained no longer than is reasonably necessary to perform the processing described in this Notice and in case of any legal claims or complaints, or as required by law.
Subject to exemptions under applicable law (which may include, depending on the circumstances, U.S. law protecting the rights to free speech and free press or EU law protecting the rights to freedom of expression or information, including processing for journalistic purposes), you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- To request a copy of your personal data which ISC, INC. holds;
- To request that ISC, INC. provide you access to and/or rectify personal data that is inaccurate or out of date;
- To request erasure of your personal data where it is no longer necessary for ISC, INC. to retain it;
- If you have consented to processing, the right to withdraw consent at any time;
- To request that the data controller provide you with your personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, where applicable. This right of portability only applies where the processing is based on consent or is necessary for the performance of a contract and if ISC, INC. processes the data by automated means;
- To request a restriction on further processing where applicable;
- The right to object to processing if the processing is based on legitimate interest, is for direct marketing, or is for scientific/historical research and statistics;
- To lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
You may exercise these rights by contacting ISC, INC. at [email protected] providing the email address you used to register with ISC, INC., and stating your specific request in writing. ISC, INC. reserves the right to verify your identity and confirm your right to the information. The following options are also available:
- For information on opt-out tools for sponsorship messages contact [email protected].
- To withdraw consent for collection of precise device location, you may access the privacy settings of your mobile device and/or the settings of the ISC, INC. mobile application.
- To prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, click here for the Google Universal Analytics opt-out browser add-on: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. To learn more about how Google uses data, visit google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
Transfer of Data Abroad
Because ISC, INC. operates the Programs from the US, your personal data may be transferred to the US and/or to countries or territories outside the EEA or Switzerland not recognized by the European Commission as ensuring an adequate level of protection pursuant to the GDPR. Where required, data transfers will be made subject to the terms of the applicable EU Standard Contractual Clauses or with your consent. ISC, INC. will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice in respect of such transfer.
ISC, INC. employs physical, technical and organizational safeguards to ensure an appropriate level of security for personal data, taking into account the state of the art, the costs of implementation and the nature, scope, context and purposes of processing as well as the risk of varying likelihood and security for the rights and freedoms of natural persons,
Automated Decision Making and Analysis
ISC, INC. and its data analytics and sponsorship vendors analyze user interactions with the Programs to deliver personalized content to users and to serve personalized sponsorship messages. This includes tracking user preferences with respect to search terms in order to derive a user’s interests and preferences. The consequences of such processing for the data subject are that the data subject receives content that may be of interest to him or her, as well as email, online from ISC, INC. and ISC, INC.’s sponsors that are geared towards the interests and preferences of the data subject.
You must be at least 18 years of age to submit any User Materials or Personal Data on or through the Programs.
If ISC, INC. plans to use personal data for a new purpose, it will update this Notice and communicate the changes to individuals before starting any new processing.
Ms. Nola Mahaney
Institute for Scientific Communications, Inc.
A non-profit organization
9221 Rumsey Road, Suite # 8
Columbia, MD 21045